settingsLogin | Registersettings

Attachment filenames after libpst conversion

0 votes

On an Ubuntu box, I used the readpst command from libpst to convert a PST file to a series of mbox files. Upon importing a resulting mbox into ePADD, all the attachment filenames look something like this:

mbox.C____full__path__to__this__mbox__file.##

where ## is the sequence number of that particular attachment within the mbox.

In the mbox file's attachment file headers, everything looks appropriate, though I'm no expert:

----boundary-LibPST-iamunique-297564327_-_-
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; 
        filename*=utf-8''Sample%20Addendum.doc

Any ideas on why the Sample%20Addendum.doc filename is not getting brought over properly, based on the syntax of this header?

EDIT: More information -
I used a vagrant/VirtualBox machine with Unbutu 14.04. I can provide more specs if you need.

My process was:
1. copy the PST from a network path to ~/email
2. mkdir export and cd into it
3. install PST tools: sudo apt-get install pst-utils
4. readpst ../mypstfile.pst

It churned through the PST, creating an mbox file for each folder in the original mailbox.
The libpst used is this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libpst4

Thanks!

asked Aug 25, 2015 by Mitch
edited Aug 27, 2015

2 Answers

0 votes

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for you question. We're looking into this and will respond here ASAP.

Best,

Josh Schneider
ePADD Community Manager

answered Aug 25, 2015 by Josh_Schneider (5,040 points)
0 votes

Hi Mitch,

Could you provide us with details on how the mbox file was generated, specifically which program/OS/version was used, and command line parameters?

Thanks!

Josh

answered Aug 26, 2015 by Josh_Schneider (5,040 points)

Hi Josh,

I used a vagrant/VirtualBox machine with Unbutu 14.04. I can provide more specs if you need.

My process was:
1. copy the PST from a network path to ~/email
2. mkdir export and cd into it
3. install PST tools: sudo apt-get install pst-utils
4. readpst ../mypstfile.pst

It churned through the PST, creating an mbox file for each folder in the original mailbox.
The libpst used is this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libpst4

Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks!
Mitch

Checking on this and will let you know once we have more info.

Thanks,

Josh

I am seeing a similar behavior, but assumed it was because the PST file I am working with was migrated to PST from LotusNotes by the creator years ago.

ePADD is a software package developed by Stanford University's Special Collections & University Archives that supports archival processes around the appraisal, ingest, processing, discovery, and delivery of email archives.
...